Thursday, February 2, 2012

Dont know what to do...

When I was pregnant I really hoped that I could Nurse.
I just had a fear that I wouldn't be able to. I have never had anything against formula, I just really wanted to be able to nurse. Just for sake of saving money and for the sake of nursing my baby I guess.
Well turns out I was able to nurse. It was never really a problem for me, it just came natural. And I actually really enjoyed it.
James is now 3 1/2 months old and its almost become a burden to nurse. James will usually eat for about 5 min and then throws a little fit and just is not interested anymore. It breaks my heart. So then I usually have to supplement with formula because like ten minutes later he decides he is still hungry and by that point I have no milk left. I started getting worried that I was going to lose my milk so I started pumping. Well pumping is just not my thing. I feel like I am torturing James because now he has to wait to eat til im done pumping. I tried that for a day and hated it.
The next day I tried nursing again and all was well. He did great! I was so happy, until last night when I fed him before bed our terrible cycle started again. I had to supplement. I am starting to get kind of frustrated and feel I am confusing my baby and my husband doesn't know what to tell me to do. Because so far today he has nursed well. I really have nothing against formula except that it doesnt have the best smell to it. But for some reason it makes me sad inside to think of not nursing anymore.
I dont know if I should keep this vicious cycle up and see how long my milk lasts this way? Or should I just drop nursing all together and go straight formula? ah! I dont know if anyone has any sound advice for me but I really just needed to put all this in words because I have really been frustrating myself.

3 comments:

Erika said...

Oh nursing!! Its such a hard thing! I'd say keep at it! Unless it gets to the point where it really is just a burden for both you and baby and not a special 'bonding' time. But, sometimes they just have 'off' days, or just don't want to eat as much. Not so fun nursing sessions are completely normal! Or, he could just be getting older and to that age where he's more interested in what's going on around him instead of just laying there eating. If that's the case, the best advice I got was to get 'em good and tired and hungry and then try to nurse. Play a little bit more and expose him to the real world by going for walks, playing with toys, dancing to music, or just watch a baby einsteins video. And, it might be time to lengthen the time between nursing sessions. If you have questions or need support or whatever I'd be happy to help. I'm no pro, but I've been through it before (and pretty recently) so maybe I can help! I'll email you my cell number and you can text/call anytime!!

Todd and Heidi said...

I have the same thoughts as the previous post about nursing. It can be great some days and then other days I want to be done. So I would say to keep at it for a little bit longer and see if it is just a phase that he is going through. The older he gets the more distracted he will get. So just have patience with him. I would also recommend going longer in between feedings that way you know he is good and hungry. You also might want to change how you hold him or where you feed him. Lyla went through this just a couple of weeks ago where she didn't want to nurse at all. She hadn't ate anything for like 6 hrs and I was getting nervous. I tried a changing things a little and she finally did eat. Whatever you decide is a personal decision and you are a great mom no matter what! Give me a call if you have any questions or just want to talk nurse talk:) Good luck!

Kallie said...

My thoughts on it are the same, but I also know that not everyone can nurse. It doesn't make you any less of a mom, if it doesn't work out. Do what you feel like is best for YOU and James.