Saturday, October 8, 2011

A proud canner

There are two pear trees in our backyard. One big one, one little one. Little did we know, there came about twelve big boxes of pears from those two trees. Thats alot of pears!!! I gave a bunch away, Brady and I ate a bunch. And then... I learned how to can! I never thought I would know how to can, but I do and its actually pretty fun! A couple ladies in our new ward offered to help me can my pears. So we just divided the cans equally among us. It was so nice of them to help me.
Then I decided I still had a plethora of pears left and wanted to try something different. So I made pear sauce(its like applesauce but with pears instead). Thanks to Brady's sister Kati for giving me pointers along the way . It was quite a fun experiment. I made one batch with regular sugar and one with brown sugar. Brady votes Brown sugar is better but likes them both.
So I ended up with 11 cans of pears and 9 1/2 cans of pear sauce.



1 comment:

Erika said...

I never would have thought to make pearsauce. But they are just like apples, so I'll bet its tasty! On a side note, I LOVE your yellow kitchen aid!! :)